Top policy experts offer Medicare reform solutions for the millions of seniors whose health care depends on America’s fastest growing federal entitlement.
In Modernizing Medicare, editors Robert Emmet Moffit and Marie Fishpaw bring together a rare combination of leading scholars and policy practitioners to outline a vision for Medicare reform and provide solutions for the millions of seniors whose health care depends on it. Contributors include a former Medicare trustee, a former Medicare administrator, and a former director of the Congressional Budget Office.
Detailing Medicare’s biggest problems, this team of top policy experts offer solutions based on personal freedom of choice, transparency of price and performance, and market competition among health plans and providers that will secure patients more affordable, more accountable, and higher quality medical care. They also address Medicare’s reform needs and analyze the promising performance of the Medicare Advantage program. The authors outline Medicare’s major financial problems and the best solutions for Medicare patients and taxpayers alike. While Medicare’s accelerating spending is generating higher deficits and debt, standard cost-control strategies―such as payment reductions and price controls―jeopardize patients’ access to high-quality care.
Contributors: Joseph R. Antos, PhD; Doug Badger; Charles P. Blahous, PhD; Walton F. Francis; John C. Goodman, PhD; Edmund F. Haislmaier; Douglas Holtz-Eakin, PhD; Brian J. Miller, MD, MBA, MPH; Robert Emmet Moffit, PhD; Mark V. Pauly, PhD; Christopher M. Pope, PhD; Gail R. Wilensky, PhD.
See more medical ebooks at here:
Table of contents :
List of Contributors
1. Introduction: Reviving the Medicare Reform Consensus
Part I. The Challenge of Medicare Reform
2. Why Medicare Reform Has Been Hard: A Public Choice Perspective
3. Pursuing Medicare Reform in the Context of a Financing Crisis
Part II. Medicare Advantage: The Record and Opportunity
4. How Medicare Advantage Secures Better Value for Seniors and Taxpayers
5. Improving Medicare Advantage through Patient Power
6. The Next Step in Medicare Reform
Part III. Transitioning to Premium Support: The Promise of Greater Personal Choice and Market Competition
7. Medicare Advantage: The Platform for a Comprehensive Premium Support Program
8. Modernizing Traditional Medicare: The First Step to Effective Competition
9. Medicare Risk Adjustment: Stabilizing the Market in a Premium Support Program
10. Modernizing Medicare: Improving Payment and Delivery of Prescription Drugs
11. Reforming Medicare: Lessons from Premium Support’s Long Bipartisan History
12. The Potential for Beneficiary and Taxpayer Savings in Moving to a Premium Support Model for Medicare